Even though dress codes are starting to relax in business, there are still unwritten rules as to what is acceptable wear and what is not. Every businessman and woman wants to look their best. Many women do this by getting Botox injections to keep those wrinkles at bay and present a more youthful image. While this may work for them, unless they also dress correctly any advantage is negated.
Studies have shown that wearing a suit in business offers several advantages: –
- People tend to look up to someone dressed in a suit because they expect them to have the skills and education needed for the job.
- A suit denotes authority, so people think of someone dressed in a suit as a person in authority over them.
- Men who wear suits have been found to do better in negotiation because they are looked up to.
- Women who dress well in suits are given better service and respect.
- People who dress well feel really good about themselves and so they do better at work.
- People who don’t wear suits tend to defer to those that do.
While we would all like to think there is no class distinction in society, in actual fact it is still alive and kicking. It seems to be hardwired into our brains that people who dress well – in suits – form the upper echelons of society while those who habitually dress in sweats and T-shirts belong to the lower classes.